The LASIK technique
LASIK (laser in-situ keratomileusis) is a procedure performed inside the cornea using an excimer laser, following a lamellar incision in the cornea with a femtosecond laser.
LASIK is the most widely-used procedure in the world for the correction of mild and moderate myopia, astigmatism and hyperopia.
The advantages of the LASIK treatment are:
- The operation is performed under topical anesthesia through the application of anesthetic eye drops;
- The procedure is performed in day surgery, and consequently the patient is not admitted overnight;
- The surgery is completely painless;
- Sutures are not required;
- Eye-patches are not necessary;
- Healing and recovery times are extremely rapid;
- There is no post-operative pain.